Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Courtly Love

Well here we are again my friends. I must confess I have no topic of discourse for my blog today so lets just ramble on and see where we end up. Right now I am enjoying the smooth sound of the legendary jazz queen Billie Holiday. I never get tired of the anguished strains of Lady Day. Soon I believe I will smoke another bowl. Smoking to Billie Holiday is sublime my friends.


I was pondering the question, is it better to love someone who is indifferent, or is it better to love someone who is unavailable. Not because either of these things have anything to do with my own life, but as a means of discussing courtly love. As for my part neither is preferable, but if I had to choose I would cast my lot with both. If one is unavailable and on does not care you will be subjecting yourself to various torments of unrequited feelings on purpose. As such you would have an inkling of the masochist in you and you would do better to pursue both and thereby have the thrill of being made to look like a fool, (if thats your thing). But at the same time you will double your chance of eventually wearing one of them down until they can resist no longer. I am clearly not a fan of either proposition.

If I was truly enthralled I think I'd seek some other arrangement. Like maybe just be bed-buddies and not lovers. I do not dwell in self-righteous notions about the functions of emotional and physical love. I do not expect rainbows and flowers everywhere. Passion is better. Fighting and hot make up sex. These things are what keep it interesting. Better to pick a person who is neither indifferent, nor unavailable, but that is a challenge to you. Not wholly unattainable but a challenge. Not boring but stimulating. Not overly good-looking, but within your range. Delusions about idealized or courtly love are magnificent fantasies. Hazy images in the minds eye that never were. Many a person is single or unhappy out there because they are waiting for some fairy tale. Prince charming ain't coming y'all.

It is far better to pick a modest, and dutiful lover who is good in bed, and that is enough, for that is real happiness, that is available to all. ( this last part is dedicated to a friend of mine who allows all types of perfectly good, and well meaning suitors pass because he is waiting for some magical romance. People like that end up alone. I'll settle for stimulating conversation, hot sex, and some degree of good times.)

Well everyone those are my musings for now. We had no topic in the beginning and see how we've rambled through many various and sundry things. I still miss my poor TV. Until next time. Be Yourself.

Ty the Emperor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Testing the comments system.